Oral care is a two-fold practice and its success depends on work that the dental team performs in the office and job that the patient carries out on his own at home. Good oral health cannot be secured when either of this is missing, so it is important that neither is neglected.
Everyone is encouraged to see their dentist every six months or twice a year. It does not matter if there is a dental problem, regular visits are scheduled so that the patient can preserve the health of his teeth and gums and enjoy his smile for longer.
Away from the clinic, a patient should be diligent enough with his efforts to keep his teeth at the perfect state. Taking care of your teeth is also your responsibility and you need to know how to do a good job at this.
- Brushing your teeth regularly. Tooth brushing is more than just passing the brush on the teeth. To properly get rid of disease-causing plaque, you will need to choose the right toothbrush and toothpaste, and know the right strokes that will clean the teeth.
- Flossing in between teeth after every meal. A floss is a string that you can insert in between teeth to free any trapped food particle. Food that is allowed to remain in the spaces can cause tooth decay and gum disease. Sometimes, even the most diligent efforts to brush the teeth is not enough so flossing helps to support your work.
- Rinse with the right mouthwash. Mouthwashes do not only make your breath fresh, but it also softens plaque. It is medicated with the right substances and its use should promote health, heal tissues and halt disease.
- Eat healthy food. The food you choose to have will define the health of your teeth so if you want to save your teeth, you will avoid sweets and sticky food and have more fruits, vegetables, nuts and dairy products.
- Avoid bad habits. There are all kinds of habits that everyone needs to avoid if they want to keep their teeth healthy. These habits endanger the health of the teeth in gums: smoking, alcoholism, drug abuse, nail biting, pen biting, night grinding, eating of ice and so forth.
Observe the things mentioned above and you can save your teeth and enjoy your smile for longer. Fail and you may have to say goodbye them so if you would not like to sport a toothless grin, make a commitment to love your teeth more.