Fluoride treatments for stronger and whiter teeth at your trusted Naperville, IL dentistry
The advantages of fluoride treatment have been recognized for above 50 years and are accepted by several health and professional associations. Fluoride is the most successful element available to keep tooth decay at bay. It is found naturally in water and is present in variable quantities in almost all foods.
Uses of fluoride
Topical fluoride makes the teeth stronger and protects them from dental caries by percolating into the outer surface of enamel. The sources of topical fluoride are available in the form of fluoride dentifrices, mouth rinses, and gels. Dentists and dental hygienists usually advise that children should get a professional topical fluoride application twice a year during their routine dental examinations.
To prevent tooth decay, the quantity of fluoride acquired from our food and water may not be sufficient for a majority of people. Your dentist or dental hygienist may suggest you to undergo home and/or professional fluoride treatment if you have any of these problems that are listed below:
- Deep pits and fissures on the occlusal aspects (masticating surfaces) of teeth.
- Cervical abrasion causing the exposure of root surfaces and tooth hypersensitivity.
- Improper or poor oral hygiene maintenance.
- Recurrent sugar and carbohydrate intake.
- Insufficient fluoride exposure.
- Reduced rate of salivary flow due to any ailments, drugs or medical therapies.
- Any recent history of dental caries.
Fluoride alone is not enough to make your teeth cavity-free! You need to practice habits of brushing twice daily, flossing regularly, eating balanced meals, decreasing the frequency of sweet and sticky foods and, most importantly, visiting your dentist for routine check-ups.
Call us or make an appointment online. Have your teeth cleaned by a trusted Naperville dentist, Dr. Prasad Gonavarum.